Beauty brush cleaner causes ‘gut-busting’ reactions in children

A chemical makeup brush cleaning agent is causing “gut ripping” in children, and could pose a public health risk, according to an FDA advisory.

The Food and Drug Administration said the chemical, methanol acetate, is an ingredient in the popular makeup brush cleanser, but it was not immediately known whether it is linked to any of the reported outbreaks.

The agency said methanolic acetate is not approved for use in cosmetics because of its potential to damage the lining of the mouth, nose, and throat.

The agency warned against using it on children under 5 years old.

A statement from the FDA said that in an evaluation conducted by the agency’s Office of Scientific Research, it determined that methanole acetate could cause a chemical reaction in children if ingested orally.

It also found that children with severe eczema, asthma, and other chronic conditions might have a higher risk of developing anaphylaxis from methanone acetate.

The FDA said it is reviewing the information from the review.